It is hard to wrap our minds around it yet there is strong scientific evidence to support the statistic that 1 in 6 men have been sexually abused or assaulted, whether in childhood or as an adult. No doubt, this is a low estimate since the statistics don’t include noncontact experiences.
Facts about men and sexual abuse:
- Jim Hopper defines sexual abuse as children subjected to unwanted sexual contact involving force, threats, or a large age difference between the perpetrator and victim.
- The abuse itself does not dictate whether a boy will suffer significant long-term negative consequences. Moreover, the frequency, longevity, and the relationship to the abuser in addition to if the boy told and how that information was handled in more indicative of long-term effects.
What research says about men and sexual abuse:
- A 2005 study conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, Kaiser Permanente HMO members, reported that 16% of males were sexually abused by the age of 18.
- A 2003 national study of U.S. adults reported that 14.2% of men were sexually abused before the age of 18.
Why these statistics are thought to be an underestimate:
- Males are less likely to disclose sexual abuse than are females.
- Only 16% of men with documented histories of sexual abuse consider themselves to have been sexually abused, compared to 64% of women with documented histories in the same study.
If you wonder whether such an experience is connected to difficulties or challenges in your life, you are not alone. Men who’ve had these experiences are at a greater risk for serious mental health problems
- Symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder and depression
- Alcoholism and Substance Use
- Suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts
- Problems in intimate relationships
- Underachievement at school and at work
In summary, the 1 in 6 statistics is supported by solid scientific research, including a study conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. Furthermore, this widespread problem affects a man’s mental health, personal, and work difficulties.
Healing Springs Ranch offers a complete lifestyle transformation for the most successful recovery. Call Healing Springs Ranch at 866-647-4606 to overcome these issues in a safe way.